#MetroDiary 26: Kinder im zug/ Children in the train


Presence of children in the compartment is the most amazing thing that can happen to you in a long metro journey considering they are throwing a fit! For me, finding playful children in the metro coaches is pretty hard as I start my day at an hour when children either don’t board the metro or cling to their parents’ shoulders, half-asleep. However, I get lucky on the first day of the week. On Mondays, I see some  children enthusiastically (or grumpily) getting down from long distance buses and trains and boarding the metro early in the morning with their parents. They are dragged along with other luggage as they drag their feet, both literally and figuratively. They play their own games, sometimes make-belief games with several characters when alone. If they get to ride with a sibling or a friend then of course the compartment becomes a large playground. 


At times these little beings just measure-up the passengers traveling with them. Like this beautiful boy the other day, who seemed intrigued by me. His large eyes did not move towards any other direction. He either found my face or what I was wearing, fascinating! I on the other hand, was happy to make his journey less boring with parents busy figuring out the directions. He did not take his eyes off me even when I took out the phone and kept looking at it. They are not always interested in me though. Kids generally ignore me or for that matter, any adult, and scan the compartment to see if there is any other child around. Adults are generally boring at best and deceitful at the worst. Deceitful, because when children insist on ending the ride, adults keep telling them its just the next station that they would get down at. However, the destination turns out to be at least 10 stations away. Even I start losing faith in that adult as I count the stations. I do so for a very different reason, though. I keep my eye fixed on the seat they are about to empty. However, more often than not, they go beyond my station! You can't blame only the PM of India for selling the "achche din". We are all at selling better times to whoever would lend an ear. 



Children make friendships along the journey. This definitely makes me jealous! We adults remain busy with our phones, or books, or newspapers or at best make an attempt to not to look at the others. They become so friendly that they rue over losing this new found friend. They become cranky and want to get down immediately! I once saw a boy almost pushing her mom out at one station, just because this "new friend" was getting down. They make their parents embarrassed by inviting themselves to these other children's houses and also give out secrets! They quickly share their worries. "My Mom can't play football herself, so she does not allow me to play for long! Can your Mom pass the ball well?" whispered the sweet chubby kid to his friend. The mom of course heard him and had a good laugh at this logic along with the other commuters. I have so far failed to make any friends in the metro. The most I could do so far is to compliment fellow women on the lovely dresses they wear to work or to outings. And so far no woman has been offended. I think I should try that with men too. Or would that be too much?











Comments

Popular Posts